Dr Phillip Lee | Role of your MP
page-template-default,page,page-id-1217,ajax_updown,page_not_loaded,,qode-title-hidden,footer_responsive_adv,qode-theme-ver-16.1,qode-theme-bridge,disabled_footer_bottom,wpb-js-composer js-comp-ver-6.0.5,vc_responsive

On my walkabouts in the Bracknell Constituency I have had many people ask me about my role as a Member of Parliament and what it entails.

It is my job to work in our national Parliament on behalf of ALL the people as a representative of the Bracknell Constituency. MPs are entrusted with the responsibility to exercise their judgement in the best interests of their constituents, and in the wider national interest. 

My role in the House of Commons is to scrutinise legislation, attend debates and committee meetings, and generally protect, advocate and promote the interests of the residents, organisations and businesses of the Bracknell constituency at the national level.

In the constituency, I support local community groups, publicise local issues and endeavour to help constituents resolve any issues they have. I can help with any issue over which Parliament, a central government department or an agency has responsibility. If a constituent comes to me with a problem I will often deal with this by contacting the relevant department or official, writing to the Minister involved or making an appointment to see them personally when required. Many problems can be solved through these means.

It is important to note that many local issues fall directly under the control of the local councils. Although I have a professional relationship with the local Councils as the MP, I do not have any power over them or the decisions they take that might affect local residents.

If you have an enquiry or problem regarding a Council service or policy you should, in the first instance, contact the relevant Council Department or service directly. If this does not resolve the matter, you should then approach one of your locally elected Councillors for advice and assistance.

The Bracknell constituency is served by two Unitary Authorities: Bracknell Forest Council and Wokingham Borough Council.

They manage, among other things, the following services:

– Planning
– Refuse and recycling
– Social Services
– Housing (inc. housing associations)
– Environmental (inc. noise, maintenance and cleaning)
– Licensing
– Council tax 
– Local roads and highways
– Local facilities

Find your local Councillor:

Bracknell Forest: https://www.bracknell-forest.gov.uk/council-and…/councillors
Wokingham Borough: http://wokingham.moderngov.co.uk/mgMemberIndex.aspx?bcr=1

The role of an MP is everything I expected and much more. Daily, I work closely with a range of people, companies and institutions on a wide variety of issues. The diversity of the job is immensely rewarding and I look forward to working hard to ensure the best for everyone in Bracknell for many years to come.